Feeling silly about loving your Lilies? Fear not! We all love lilies! Here are some care tips to show them your love!
Lilies are a beautiful flower, guaranteed to make an important impact on the appearance of your bouquet, so it is important they receive the care they need for them to open and show their character!
Trim 3-4 cm off stems at 45 degree angle underwater to maintain freshness - air can cause stems to deteriorate if they are left out too long and start to dry. Also, cutting the stems under water will help prevent air from entering the stems. If air does enter the stem, it will form bubbles that will slow down water and nutrient absorption. Ultimately, this will shorten the life of your cut flowers.
To do so, submerge stems in water or cut stems under running water.
Only use clean instruments for cutting stems - bacteria from previously cut items can damage stem.
Dip stem in boiling water before placing in hatbox/vase - this prevents air and sap from blocking stem (clears the pipes basically!). However, be sure to only do so for 1-2 seconds, as holding the stems in boiling water will damage them.
Remove low-hanging leaves that may be submerged in water when placed into vase. These can rot and damage remaining stems.
Make sure to trim stems at 45 degree angle every two days to ensure they can drink as much water as possible. Change water every two days also.
Use only a sparkling clean vase to prevent lingering bacteria causing any damage.
If you feel your flowers need a little revival, it is okay every 2-3 days to add ¼ teaspoon of bleach and half teaspoon of sugar when changing the water - bleach helps flowers to stay fresh, sugar acts as flower food.
Lilies grow best in room temperature conditions. They should be kept away from direct sunlight, heat sources and draughts.
If your lilies are being stubborn and not opening, it may help to add warm water to the vase and place the lilies in a slightly warmer spot.
It is also important to keep your flowers away from the fruit bowl! Fruit emits a natural gas called ethylene that damages flowers and leads to shorter life.
Lifespan when proper care is taken: up to 10-14 days.